• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Half-Inch Play In Floor Shift Handle For 2nd Gen Auto?

Seventy6er

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask before I break something.

My shift handle has about a half-inch play in every gear, and I'm not sure if I should consider adjusting the linkage at the TH350 or if I have to remove the entire center console and start finagling around on the entire floor mechanism.

Or if it's something internal with the TH350.

It only presents a problem when shifting from N to Drive, when I have to press the release button and tug it another 1/4 inch or so for it to engage in Drive.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Munkyslut

Reaction score
It’ll definitely be all in the linkage; the box itself won’t be the culprit.

I’d remove the indicator panel from the center console and use your phone magnifier to watch the mechanism and see if it flexes or jams anywhere as you go through the gears.

At the least, it’ll be a strip-down, clean, lube, and adjust the shifter cable as per the factory instructions; it’s easy.

In the worst case, you’ll be ordering a new shifter cable.

I hope that helps.

Seventy6er

Reaction score
It’ll definitely be all in the linkage; the box itself won’t be the culprit.

I’d remove the indicator panel from the center console and use your phone magnifier to watch the mechanism and see if it flexes or jams anywhere as you go through the gears.

At the least, it’ll be a strip-down, clean, lube, and adjust the shifter cable as per the factory instructions; it’s easy.

In the worst case, you’ll be ordering a new shifter cable.

I hope that helps.
Yes, and thanks!

It's funny how all these issues pop up right in the middle of Spring, lol.

Murphy's Law.