• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

TH350 Shift Shaft Question

Seventy6er

Reaction score
I recently had to deal with the Shift Shaft SEAL, during which its replacement with the cheap Amazon tool failed (consistent with the 50/50 rating), and ultimately had it professionally done.

However, I did notice that the shaft has about a 1/4" play (in/out), which affects shifting to Drive.

I found that if it's more "out," then it needs a bit of a re-shift from Neutral-to-Drive to engage, but if it's "in," it shifts directly to Drive from Neutral.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much settling in place, or it is free to wander in or out on its own.

Any ideas as to what may cause this?

Munkyslut

Reaction score
Hi there; from memory, you must torque the shaft retaining nut to factory specs; you’ll have to look it up.

The important thing is to remember to seat the shoulder of the shaft in the roostercomb-shaped shift lever before tightening.

Other wise, with just a few turns of operation, it’ll be loose.

You’ll have to remove the pan & drop the valve body, but it’s no biggie.👍

Seventy6er

Reaction score
Hi there; from memory, you must torque the shaft retaining nut to factory specs; you’ll have to look it up.

The important thing is to remember to seat the shoulder of the shaft in the roostercomb-shaped shift lever before tightening.

Other wise, with just a few turns of operation, it’ll be loose.

You’ll have to remove the pan & drop the valve body, but it’s no biggie.👍
Thanks!

Lately, it's been a "when it rains, it pours" kind of thing with my 76, but I will give that a look.