• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Motor Decision - 1967 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible

Jfrye12

Reaction score
Next week my 67 convertible goes for total restoration.

I bought this car 39 years ago when I was 15.

I cannot wait, but I want to do this right.

At this time, I have a 69 400 out of a GTO and a 350 trans.

Everything will be rebuilt during this process, so it is ready and reliable out the door.

I thought to keep the drivetrain now, but I have run across a 67 326, and 2 speed trans that would be the car's original build.

When completed, whatever engine I use will be bored at least 30 over and will have the excellent lopey cam sound.

I am considering a tri carb set up on top.

Just curious about thoughts others have.

What concerns, if any, if I go with the 326/2 speed set up.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Tbone

Reaction score
Next week my 67 convertible goes for total restoration.

I bought this car 39 years ago when I was 15.

I cannot wait, but I want to do this right.

At this time, I have a 69 400 out of a GTO and a 350 trans.

Everything will be rebuilt during this process, so it is ready and reliable out the door.

I thought to keep the drivetrain now, but I have run across a 67 326, and 2 speed trans that would be the car's original build.

When completed, whatever engine I use will be bored at least 30 over and will have the excellent lopey cam sound.

I am considering a tri carb set up on top.

Just curious about thoughts others have.

What concerns, if any, if I go with the 326/2 speed set up.
IMHO as I had a 1967 326 in a LeMans bought new by my father. Given as a wedding gift to me in ‘69.
Very pretty stylish car w all the bells & whistles except the GTO package. So it had the 326 w a power-glide. Never could stand the performance or the transmission. Got rid of it in ‘70 & bought a Formula 400 lll. Loved the 400 4 speed as much as I disliked the 326 power glide. Unless originalty is a priority (never really mattered w me) & u want performance enjoyability when driving, go w the GTO 400! Also unless u have an aversion to stick shift, as u r obviously spending a bunch, now’s the time for a conversion to stick. Pretty easy while cars apart & nice & clean during resto! Again ‘Just my humble opinion’?. BOL which ever u decide, I’m sure it will b a beauty & look forward to seeing!!!