• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1979 Nocturne Blue Paint Formula

Treific

Reaction score
I need expert advice regarding the correct paint formula for Nocturne Blue Metallic (Code 29) used in 1979.

My car's body tag shows paint code 29, which equals WA8027.

However, the WA8027 color is significantly darker than the color currently on my car.

(If you look at my profile icon, my 79 T/A is more of a teal green/blue hue.)

Looking at various web images, I see many '79 Nocturne Blue T/As with my teal/green color and others with darker blue, which seems closer to the WA8027 formula.

To say I'm confused would be an understatement.

My T/A has been repainted (2 stages with a clear coat), so it's possible that my color is not the correct formula.

What's odd is that I removed the fenders, front clip, and entire interior during my restoration process, but I have yet to find any remnants of the darker blue (WA8027) color.

If my color is incorrect, someone did an incredible job changing the color during the last paint job.

Does anyone know if there was a variant of the Nocturne Blue Metallic paint formula with a more teal shade?

If so, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could forward that paint code/formula to me.

I aim to keep this car original, but I'm baffled about the original color.

I'm hoping there's a Trans Am paint code guru out there that can help solve this mystery.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Treific

Reaction score
Sure, I attached a photo for easier viewing.

79 TA.jpg

Treific

Reaction score
Here are two examples of the two different variants of Nocturne Blue that I'm finding online.

Attachments

• 79TA_Nocturne_Dark.png
    79TA_Nocturne_Dark.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 79TA_Nocturne_Teal.png
    79TA_Nocturne_Teal.png
    430.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Knightrider189

Treific

Reaction score
That looks more like Atlantis Blue to us.

Thank you,
PTA Staff

That was my initial thought, too.

I attached a photo of some experimentation with my color against Atlantis Blue (code 24) and Nocturne Blue (code 29).

Mine almost seems to be a mix of both.

Atlantis blue is on the rear seat metal.

Nocturne and Atlantis are both on the metal swatch covering the driver's headlight.

20230914_174049.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxthe222

Reaction score
The car has been repainted, and that's not the correct Nocturne Blue color.

Even though photos are a terrible representation of color, you can quickly tell that it's been repainted in a higher contrast over the original darker blue.

Paint codes don't help; the paint codes from 40 years ago do not translate appropriately to today.

Getting them to match correctly and formulate the color based on old DuPont codes is difficult.

Treific

Reaction score
Well, Shucks!

I was hopeful that someone might have a paint code or formula mix to help me get closer to the teal version of Nocturne Blue in the above photo.

It's not too late if someone wants to drop some knowledge on the subject.

THX!