• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Timing Chain Installation on 301 engine

1980Transam_Red

Reaction score
Hi all.

I hope someone can educate me on how to install the timing chain and the position of the dots.

I have been reading up on the installation of the dots, and some say the dots should be on the cam at 12 o'clock and on the crank at 12 o'clock.

Others say dot on cam at 6 o'clock and dot on crank 12 o'clock.

Some say it does not matter if the dots are both at 12 or the cam dot at 6 and the crank at 12 as long as the distributor is installed at TDC on the #1 cylinder.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Munkyslut

Reaction score
I can see your confusion; technically, both answers are correct, as the cam rotates at half-engine speed.

It’s easier to align the timing marks, especially if you are degreeing the cam, if you position them at 6 cam & 12 crank o’clock.

Don’t worry about the distribution position just yet.

I hope that helped!

Deathracer

Reaction score
Hi all.

I hope someone can educate me on how to install the timing chain and the position of the dots.

I have been reading up on the installation of the dots, and some say the dots should be on the cam at 12 o'clock and on the crank at 12 o'clock.

Others say dot on cam at 6 o'clock and dot on crank 12 o'clock.

Some say it does not matter if the dots are both at 12 or the cam dot at 6 and the crank at 12 as long as the distributor is installed at TDC on the #1 cylinder.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Whichever works better for you, both will work.