• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1974 Pontiac Trans Am - Plugged Holes In Door Jamb?

trissa

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on what these plugged holes in the door jamb is for?

They are on both front and back jambs on both sides.

door jamb 2.jpg

Seventy6er

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, they served to drain the anti-corrosion solution from the dipping tanks during initial assembly (same with the trunk holes).

Here's a flashback.

Dipping.png

Last edited:

Seventy6er

Reaction score
In a strange twist, I just checked, and mine (76) doesn't seem to have that feature, so now I have yet another riddle to figure out as well.

View attachment 2748
So I looked closer at your year-specific model and didn't see them, either (see 2 photos of 74 doors).

It makes me wonder if someone had universal-type sills installed before it was returned to the correct ones.

'Course, that's just me guessing, but if you ever find out, let us know.

74DOOR1.jpg
74DOOR2.jpg

trissa

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Thanks is the problem. I am restore a 74 SD and it has the holes, but I see way more with out. Thought maybe it was a deal anti rust process or maybe it was base on production plant.

So does a guy keep them or remove them.

Again thanks and hope someone knows, If I figure it out I will post

TOG

Reaction score

Seventy6er

Reaction score
I think I found it: "In the 1970s a Chicago company, Body by Thixo-Tex, became successful on a local scale by offering aftermarket rustproofing services to automobile owners. The company engaged an advertising agency, Dawson, Johns & Black, to promote the brand, which they did by creating the Rusty Jones name and character. Company revenue increased fifty-fold within two years, and Rusty Jones became a nationally known service rivaling the previously established leader. Rusty Jones became a part of Matex Corporation."

See image.

Plenty of info online, ref Rusty Jones.

Rusty1.png

Bruce Gordon

Reaction score
I think I found it: "In the 1970s a Chicago company, Body by Thixo-Tex, became successful on a local scale by offering aftermarket rustproofing services to automobile owners. The company engaged an advertising agency, Dawson, Johns & Black, to promote the brand, which they did by creating the Rusty Jones name and character. Company revenue increased fifty-fold within two years, and Rusty Jones became a nationally known service rivaling the previously established leader. Rusty Jones became a part of Matex Corporation."

See image.

Plenty of info online, ref Rusty Jones.

View attachment 2761
That's it; we do this all over Canada and, I imagine, the northeast states.

Seventy6er

Reaction score
I believe it came out of Kentucky
That may have been a more recent or its last known region.

The best thing to do is get your vehicle's history from PHS (Pontiac Historical Society), which should at least give you the very first Dealership (region/country) it was sent to.

You can research from there.

Go to http://www.phs-online.com, and it'll be a $100 well spent.

trissa

Reaction score
That may have been a more recent or its last known region.

The best thing to do is get your vehicle's history from PHS (Pontiac Historical Society), which should at least give you the very first Dealership (region/country) it was sent to.

You can research from there.

Go to http://www.phs-online.com, and it'll be a $100 well spent.
I looked through the paperwork I got with it, and I have the PHS info.

It was ordered from Jim Aikey Pontiac in Cincinnati, Ohio, in June of 74.