• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

The Devil Inside - A Possessed 76 Click

Seventy6er

Reaction score
Three weeks of begging the Man for mercy and no solution.

My 1976 TA recently decided to have no power, then power, and now power and no crank.

YES, all parts have been recently replaced (well before the issue at hand) - clean, solid, and tight - from the starter, cables, battery, neutral and ignition switches, etc.; all fuses check out, and the 76 has no starter relay.

ALL that I hear when I turn the key to START I hear a click somewhere within the dashboard (driver-side thru the glovebox and NOT the starter), and I can't pin it down due to the nature of sound traveling.

I dropped the steering column three times to pinpoint the issue, but the damn thing just sits there, messing with Sasquatch with power / no power / but never cranks.

Did anyone get any ideas?

Knightrider189

Reaction score
It sounds like a critter may have gotten into the dash and chewed a wire(s) if the sound is coming from under the dash and causing a short.
Curious to see what the issue is.

1989 Pontiac Formula Firebird, 5.7, all OEM

Seventy6er

Reaction score
SOLVED! After much agony (and nightmares of Buddy Repperton sneaking into my garage jacking things up), I discovered the issue being the harness at the engine-side fuse box where apparently grime had built up over many years before my time with her (and NEVER got cleaned).

A couple of cans of QD Electronics Cleaner, new flex tubing attached to fixed points, and even the gentle use of a Scunci Steamer cleaned it up, and she's breathing again!

So, all this is FYI for those who inspect that area, whether during a potential purchase or are already doing ongoing work without the full resto.

Incidentally, my fat paws had a hell of a time fitting down in there, so I'm just fortunate that I didn't have to remove the brake booster (etc.) to either service it or, even worse, replace the entire box.

For now, it's on to returning a few engine components back topside and returning the steering column and driver seat back to where they're supposed to be.

I suppose I shouldn't complain; at least now I may have warded off potential other issues after having redone or replaced related parts—image for reference.

TACLEANBOX.jpg