• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Thinking About Building 500ish Horse TA - So Help Me

I

Ineedhelp

Alright, so don’t crucify me, but I will buy a trans am 98-02 and need some helpful pointers on what to throw at this thing.

I don’t want to spend a TON of money. I just want to get in and cruise around the street and drive up to the track on weekends.

I would like to build a 500ish horse, still fuel-injected, and probably the stock bottom end (unless I have to).

To my question is, I guess. I want to do an intake manifold and throttle body, a set of hogged-out heads, a decent size Lopey cam (for what I want to do), complete exhaust, and get as close as possible to 500ish.

I don’t know much about it, so any help is appreciated.

That said, aside from having it tuned, what other problems or things should I be looking out for?

Think I’ll need bigger injectors? Fuel pump?

Will the stock ECM Evan be capable?

Any suggestions as to what else I should do?

I know I’m not given a total amount to spend as I will buy stuff as I go.

And for that matter, I may just buy a turn-key car, buy an ls motor and work on that while I drive it while I work on the engine.

Something I can jam in it and plug it in and work.

I’m terrible at wiring and stuff like that.

Once again, any suggestions for an engine? I’m talking junkyard block or whatever I know my way around turning some wrenches and stuff.

Plz, help as I’m new to building any car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbone

Reaction score
If money’s a big deal & you must do it on the cheap, you will not find 500 hp FI!

Maybe 300- 325hp w factory FI. in an LS1 out of a late ‘90’s-early 2000 Vette or Z28.

They are on eBay for $1000-$2000.

To find a used 350hp-500 hp will b an LS3, LS5, or an LT Chevy, which could be $8,000 -$10,000 or more.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am