• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Motor Decision - 1967 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible

Jfrye12

Reaction score
Next week my 67 convertible goes for total restoration.

I bought this car 39 years ago when I was 15.

I cannot wait, but I want to do this right.

At this time, I have a 69 400 out of a GTO and a 350 trans.

Everything will be rebuilt during this process, so it is ready and reliable out the door.

I thought to keep the drivetrain now, but I have run across a 67 326, and 2 speed trans that would be the car's original build.

When completed, whatever engine I use will be bored at least 30 over and will have the excellent lopey cam sound.

I am considering a tri carb set up on top.

Just curious about thoughts others have.

What concerns, if any, if I go with the 326/2 speed set up.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Pontiac Trans Am

Smokey
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.pontiactransam.com
We would stay as close to original as you can, friend.

Do you have any pics we can see?

Thank you,
PTA Staff

Tbone

Reaction score
Next week my 67 convertible goes for total restoration.

I bought this car 39 years ago when I was 15.

I cannot wait, but I want to do this right.

At this time, I have a 69 400 out of a GTO and a 350 trans.

Everything will be rebuilt during this process, so it is ready and reliable out the door.

I thought to keep the drivetrain now, but I have run across a 67 326, and 2 speed trans that would be the car's original build.

When completed, whatever engine I use will be bored at least 30 over and will have the excellent lopey cam sound.

I am considering a tri carb set up on top.

Just curious about thoughts others have.

What concerns, if any, if I go with the 326/2 speed set up.
IMHO as I had a 1967 326 in a LeMans bought new by my father. Given as a wedding gift to me in ‘69.
Very pretty stylish car w all the bells & whistles except the GTO package. So it had the 326 w a power-glide. Never could stand the performance or the transmission. Got rid of it in ‘70 & bought a Formula 400 lll. Loved the 400 4 speed as much as I disliked the 326 power glide. Unless originalty is a priority (never really mattered w me) & u want performance enjoyability when driving, go w the GTO 400! Also unless u have an aversion to stick shift, as u r obviously spending a bunch, now’s the time for a conversion to stick. Pretty easy while cars apart & nice & clean during resto! Again ‘Just my humble opinion’😊. BOL which ever u decide, I’m sure it will b a beauty & look forward to seeing!!!