• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Gen II Intermediate Steering Shaft Sources/Problems

TOG

Reaction score
Replaced the intermediate steering shaft in our 73 Fire am last year with an eBay repro shaft as the original shaft's joint was making some clunking noises after 50 years of service.

In the process of replacing the WS6 steering box this fall with a Borgeson 800 Series unit, and only one year later and less than 1,000 miles, we found the repro shaft was already clunking again.

I ordered one from Jeg's this time, hoping to get a higher quality unit, but no.

I could feel play in the joint and noises even before installation, and sure enough, the same clunk noise once installed in the Fire Am.

I got another rebuilt OEM shaft on ordering from Ames Performance, but it is on backorder, and they have no idea when it might ship.

Does anyone get any sources for this part or other thoughts or suggestions on this issue?

Thanks!
The Old Guy

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

TOG

Reaction score
Christmas came early - Praise The Lord!

Ames steering shaft.jpg

The Ames Performance rebuilt shaft P/N FA478HEA arrived today.

The joint is nice and tight, with no play and no clunks.

Finally, they will be much more challenging to install because the OEM shafts do not telescope (more than once as in a collision), as do the repro shafts.

The steering column must be unbolted from the firewall and the dash to move it rearward to get enough clearance to connect both ends of the intermediate shaft.

The repro shafts can be telescoped to provide the needed clearance and re-extended.