• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Fire Am - Looking For One To Purchase

tbhelicopters

Reaction score
I've owned numerous Trans Ams, but I'm looking for a Fire Am to purchase.

I believe they were manufactured from around '78 - '81, but not 100% sure regarding the exact years.

Does anyone know the best place for me to look for these listings, or know of a contact?

I'm not having much luck locating anything at all, but especially in white, which seems to be rare.

Thx for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

tbhelicopters

Reaction score
Yep, I'm finding that out, unfortunately. It took me 30 years to find the '69 Vette I was looking for, and it seems this is just as difficult.

O' well, I got until I kick the bucket. Lol.

Reactions: Knightrider189

Justin347

Reaction score

I believe they were manufactured from around '78 - '81, but not 100% sure regarding the exact years.

Does anyone know the best place for me to look for these listings, or know of a contact?

I'm not having much luck locating anything at all, but especially in white, which seems to be rare.

Thx for any help!
I have a 79 trans am down to original metal no rust .

It's been stored indoors and in addition to the complete car have parts to replicate the bandit car.

I'm needing to sell this car.

Any advice in Iowa.

820cc2c55d7d13b6e13de02c64864080.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Justin347

Reaction score

Thx for any help!
U talking about the red bird

Maxthe222

Reaction score
I actually have a white Fire Am, and I can confirm, VSE offered the kits and Fire Am package through dealers and Herb Adams shop between 1976-1981.

There were estimated to be around 200 of them made between them (not per year!).

Many, many of them were destroyed as they were pretty aggressive race cars.

I currently run the registry for the current Fire Ams still around today, and there are currently ~20 Fire Ams still left.

My Fire Am is a factory 1979 WS6/W72 car, equipped with all VSE Stage I options, most Stage II and a few Stage III, and it is a factory Cameo White with Carmine Red interior.

It has a VSE Doug Nash 4+1 transmission, and after months of investigative work, I got the original driveline back together with the car.

I found mine on Craiglist about 2-3 years ago for $800!

A member was selling his 1976 VSE Fire Am a few months back for around $50,000+, and I'm not sure if that had since sold.

Finding a genuine original is very difficult, as it is tough to get documentation for them.

I'm sure there has to be a dozen or so of them still out there in good condition that hasn't been found, but hard to tell a standard T/A apart from a Fire Am without decals.

Many F/A's that were documented and were in magazines have since gone missing over the years or have ended up in junkyards.

gregbert78

Reaction score

Thx for any help!
I have a black '78 in darn near perfect shape.

It's a hardtop.

The suspension could use some work and the tranny is leaking a tiny bit.

Pictures are on google photos at https://photos.app.goo.gl/RuAjr7mdF3hfB8bo7

Maxthe222

Reaction score
I have a black '78 in darn near perfect shape.

It's a hardtop.

The suspension could use some work and the tranny is leaking a tiny bit.

Pictures are on google photos at https://photos.app.goo.gl/RuAjr7mdF3hfB8bo7
A Fire Am and a Trans Am are two different things, all the cars above are just regular T/A's.

Say, looking at your interior, is your car a Y81 Special Edition? Or has all that stuff been swapped in?

gregbert78

Reaction score
A Fire Am and a Trans Am are two different things, all the cars above are just regular T/A's.

Say, looking at your interior, is your car a Y81 Special Edition? Or has all that stuff been swapped in?
For whatever reason, I didn't notice it said "Fire Am" and not "Trans Am." I must've just focused on the "AM" part of the equation. I don't believe the parts have been swapped in. Previous to this, I wasn't even aware of the Y81 Special Edition. Now, I will research it. Do you have any hints to help?

Maxthe222

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I didn't notice it said "Fire Am" and not "Trans Am." I must've just focused on the "AM" part of the equation. I don't believe the parts have been swapped in. Previous to this, I wasn't even aware of the Y81 Special Edition. Now, I will research it. Do you have any hints to help?
The only way to prove this is to order PHS to find out how your car was ordered factory.

Y81 is the special edition code for people who wanted the Y82 SE minus the T-Tops.

Here is a link to check: http://www.phs-online.com/

TOG

Reaction score
I actually have a white Fire Am, and I can confirm, VSE offered the kits and Fire Am package through dealers and Herb Adams shop between 1976-1981.

There were estimated to be around 200 of them made between them (not per year!).

Many, many of them were destroyed as they were pretty aggressive race cars.

I currently run the registry for the current Fire Ams still around today, and there are currently ~20 Fire Ams still left.

My Fire Am is a factory 1979 WS6/W72 car, equipped with all VSE Stage I options, most Stage II and a few Stage III, and it is a factory Cameo White with Carmine Red interior.

It has a VSE Doug Nash 4+1 transmission, and after months of investigative work, I got the original driveline back together with the car.

I found mine on Craiglist about 2-3 years ago for $800!

A member was selling his 1976 VSE Fire Am a few months back for around $50,000+, and I'm not sure if that had since sold.

Finding a genuine original is very difficult, as it is tough to get documentation for them.

I'm sure there has to be a dozen or so of them still out there in good condition that hasn't been found, but hard to tell a standard T/A apart from a Fire Am without decals.

Many F/A's that were documented and were in magazines have since gone missing over the years or have ended up in junkyards.

Please contact me at the Fire Am Registry.

Would love to get more info on the Fire Ams you have or know anything about.

Fire Am Registry: https://fireamregistry.godaddysites.com/
Email: fireamregistry@yahoo.com
Thank you!
The Old Guy, original owner of a 1978 Fire Am build

Maxthe222

Reaction score
Sent! Sorry to come back so late; I forgot this existed.

Lol, it just popped up on Google again when I was looking for another bar