• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

80' TA 76' 400 Engine Shaker Clearance Issues

C1968366

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a 1980 Trans Am that originally had the 301 in it.

We swapped the 400 Ci out of a 1976 Catalina.

We got the engine swapped and had it running good but the 2 barrel carb that was on the 400 started to take a crap.

Was leaking fuel and the throttle would stick inside of the carb.

So it was decided to put a 4 barrel on it.

We got an RPM Performer intake (#7156) that was supposed to work for our application.

I installed the intake manifold and it seems to fit right.

We got the gaskets to block off the EGR and installed the O-ring on front of the manifold to the water pump.

I installed a 1406 Edelbrock carb (which I will need to replace with a manual choke because of some fitment issues)

My issue here is I installed the carb and the intake which was supposed to clear everything and My hood comes about 6" from shutting and stops because we are obviously sitting too high with the filter pan and the shaker hood installed.

I will add some photos here for help figuring out the issue.

I was looking around and was told to buy the aftermarket Filter pan from butler performance but it is a little spendy.

Is this my only option or is there something else we should try or change?

I included photos of the filter pan that we have along with how far the hood stays open with the pan and shaker hood on.

IMG_8599.jpg
IMG_8598.jpg
IMG_8597.jpg
IMG_8595.jpg
6DA04489-8DDC-4D09-90F5-78DF212E2A43.JPG
62C6FDEF-91E0-42F8-93C0-35C051B4C08C.JPG
608C6A10-529C-404C-8E6E-EAF320F6DAD5.JPG

Brentco

Reaction score
The RPM is something like 1 1/4” taller than a stock intake.

I could fill a warehouse with the aftermarket air cleaner assemblies I’ve bought trying to make a good setup that will fit under the hood. It’s possible with the biggest drop base air cleaner, a tapered filter, and a lot of massage.

Even then, to get it to fit usually you end up with very little effective air filter area and restrictive airflow. At the end of the day, the only good options are the ones that Butler carries.

The WFO is good, but I like the cone filter one (I think they call it the Gen II now). IIRC, none of them fit an Edelbrock with an electric choke, but you'll be fine if you’re changing to manual anyway.

They are expensive but buy once cry once.

I know there were changes to the shaker set up after 78, and I don’t have much experience with that vintage, so some additional mods may be necessary. Give Butler a call, they’re very helpful.

Talk to Anthony if possible, but all the guys over there know their stuff.