'79 Olds 403 Parts

darrenbenjamin73

Reaction score
I'm having a helluva time replacing two parts that attach to the intake manifold. Can anyone help? The first is called a temperature sensor, according to the diagram below. This is not to be confused with the temperature sending unit, which is installed toward the front of the manifold.

vacuum-diagram-jpg.1080

To complicate matters, the temperature sensors I'm seeing online have an electrical hookup. My original--if it is in fact the original and if it is actually a temperature sensor, looks like this:

img_05812-jpg.1082

Notice that it isn't an electrical hookup but a hose hookup. To this novice, this doesn't look like a temperature sensor at all but instead a simple 1-port manifold vacuum fitting. What do you think?

The second part I'm looking for is a 2-port manifold vacuum fitting, as circled in yellow in the diagram above. The manifold opening measures 1/2-20 but the fittings I'm finding online are all 3/8. I'm pretty sure the second port connects to the brake system. Here's the pic of the original:

front-manifold-vacuum-fitting-_3_-jpg.1083

Thanks for taking the time to read this far and for any insights you can provide to point me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am