• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

77 Trans Am - Engine / Electrical - Help Requested

Alex.77TA

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am asking for help with my engine, as I have never had to send a motor to a fab shop or anything, so this is a first for me.

Anyways, I have a stock 400CI with, I think, a 4 bbl carb, but I could be wrong, and as of right now, I have worn rings in cyl. #5 and 90psi pressure while the others are roughly 180.

I planned on rebuilding it this winter so I could drive it this summer.

I had an overheating problem, so I replaced the radiator with the trans.

Cooler lines were punctured.

I did a full coolant flush and replaced all fluids to include oil.

The car was running great except blowby, but I cleaned it and added oil to maintain it and allowed me to drive to work on random days because it's fun.

My car started making a bad noise and kept coughing really bad on the way home the last time.

So I have it parked and am going to start with the rebuild now.

Also, I don't have turn signals, and I'm lost looking randomly through my Chilton, trying to find a specific cause.

Maybe someone here has a little tip or trick to find the culprit?

Now to the good stuff, I've been trying to do some research and look on forums concerning rebuilds and keep concluding that I have no damn idea what people are talking about aside from the difference between a 400 and 455 the .25 inches.

Now, this being a trans am, I want to drive the heck out of it and want more HP to take to the strip on occasion and also be able to go down the road.

So first silly question: would it be better to take my 400 and rebuild it, converting to a 455 and put a cam on it staying carbed and nat. Asp., or look into an engine swap with a modern engine?

Second, should I buy parts and send them with the engine to a fab shop, or should I let them buy everything I need and fit me with the bill? Third, does anyone recommend fuel injection?

Fourth, is this an engine that would benefit from a supercharger, or should I leave it naturally aspirated for convenience?

Fifth, how should I choose a carburetor?

How do I tell the differences?

Any recommendations? Sixth, where do you purchase your parts?

Specifically, im looking at Rockauto, but it's difficult to find some things.

Lastly, aside from subframe connectors, is there anything anyone would recommend to make it more "track worthy"?

Thank you so much for your time and help, and ill be active with it, so ill reply and post pictures at milestones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Hesster

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am asking for help with my engine, as I have never had to send a motor to a fab shop or anything, so this is a first for me.

Anyways, I have a stock 400CI with, I think, a 4 bbl carb, but I could be wrong, and as of right now, I have worn rings in cyl. #5 and 90psi pressure while the others are roughly 180.

I planned on rebuilding it this winter so I could drive it this summer.

I had an overheating problem, so I replaced the radiator with the trans.

Cooler lines were punctured.

I did a full coolant flush and replaced all fluids to include oil.

The car was running great except blowby, but I cleaned it and added oil to maintain it and allowed me to drive to work on random days because it's fun.

My car started making a bad noise and kept coughing really bad on the way home the last time.

So I have it parked and am going to start with the rebuild now.

Also, I don't have turn signals, and I'm lost looking randomly through my Chilton, trying to find a specific cause.

Maybe someone here has a little tip or trick to find the culprit?

Now to the good stuff, I've been trying to do some research and look on forums concerning rebuilds and keep concluding that I have no damn idea what people are talking about aside from the difference between a 400 and 455 the .25 inches.

Now, this being a trans am, I want to drive the heck out of it and want more HP to take to the strip on occasion and also be able to go down the road.

So first silly question: would it be better to take my 400 and rebuild it, converting to a 455 and put a cam on it staying carbed and nat. Asp., or look into an engine swap with a modern engine?

Second, should I buy parts and send them with the engine to a fab shop, or should I let them buy everything I need and fit me with the bill? Third, does anyone recommend fuel injection?

Fourth, is this an engine that would benefit from a supercharger, or should I leave it naturally aspirated for convenience?

Fifth, how should I choose a carburetor?

How do I tell the differences?

Any recommendations? Sixth, where do you purchase your parts?

Specifically, im looking at Rockauto, but it's difficult to find some things.

Lastly, aside from subframe connectors, is there anything anyone would recommend to make it more "track worthy"?

Thank you so much for your time and help, and ill be active with it, so ill reply and post pictures at milestones.
A shame no one out there provided you input.

Still interested?

I have had my 77 with the 400ci Pontiac motor since I ordered it 45 years ago, and I know a thing or two on these motors and about everything else on the car.

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am