• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

2002 Trans Am Convertible - Has Wet Trunk After Rain?

Tbone

Reaction score
Hi all, seeing quite a bit of water in the trunk after heavy rains in my ‘02 T/A convertible.

While I caught it early & removed plugs, so it drains quickly & lifted lining, so air gets around & dries it while driving so no stink or rust.

The car has less than 3000 miles on it & hasn’t been outside until I bought it (I feel guilty, but I’m a driver, not a trailer queen keeper)

Does anybody have this issue?

Any ideas/solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Tbone

Reaction score
Thx for the reply, all seals as new.

I’m thinking there are clogged drain tubes somewhere to drain rain coming off convert top thru body, but I don’t see anything after checking perimeter & don't know where else to look?

I’ve checked with top 1/2 up?

I had an ‘88 Mustang GT convert & w top 1/2 up u could see it had 1 on each side in the rear where top & body met there was a channel they were in. U could see them & get a rubber-covered small gauge wire thru to clean.

Hoping somebody with a 2000-2002 convert might have experience with same?

Last edited:

Y2K-WS.6

Reaction score
I have a 2000 TA Convertible but don't have the wet trunk issue.

I have noticed that the rubber seal at the back of the trunk lid where it meets the convertible top moves out of place very quickly.

If it's not in the right place or gone altogether, the trunk will fill with water.

Tbone

Reaction score
Thx Y2K-WS6, my ‘02 has spent entire life indoors in a showroom environment ( long story I could PM u on).

Anyway also only had 1480 miles on it when I bought it a year ago.

I’ve thoroughly inspected the gasket u speak of & it is as new!

I hadn’t thought about what u indicate.

The gasket is very secure/tight incorrect installed position.

You indicate it can still move out of closing position anyway?

Is there a way to prevent or ensure it's in the right position when closing the trunk?

Y2K-WS.6

Reaction score
Thx Y2K-WS6, my ‘02 has spent entire life indoors in a showroom environment ( long story I could PM u on).

Anyway also only had 1480 miles on it when I bought it a year ago.

I’ve thoroughly inspected the gasket u speak of & it is as new!

I hadn’t thought about what u indicate.

The gasket is very secure/tight incorrect installed position.

You indicate it can still move out of closing position anyway?

Is there a way to prevent or ensure it's in the right position when closing the trunk?

I honestly don't know...well, yet.

The car and I are fairly new to each other, and I'm learning something new every day.

I was washing the car yesterday, and when I opened the trunk lid to clean under there, I noticed that my seal came loose while I was drying in that area.

Apparently, at least on my car, that seal isn't permanently attached but seems to only snap into place.

I investigated further and found that I can easily move the seal from side to side, prompting me to ensure the seal's location was correct when I was finished.

This car is primarily a garage queen, basically a summer toy that I avoid foul weather with if possible.

However, we're taking a long trip in the car for the first time this coming weekend and are expecting rain on the way there.

I'll be able to give you a better evaluation of my car's situation by 9/15.

Last edited:

Tbone

Reaction score
I have been the same w my toys.

Pretty much always went the nice weather or in garage route.

Getting older & missed the toys while @ our shore house in summer; I brought two with me this year.

No garage ??

Have the T/A & a ‘67 442, and both are pristine.

I got the unlimited carwash & wax @ local brushless carwash & have been running both twice a week to keep salt air effects away.

It seemed to work, but the water leaking in the trunk started w a stormy season.

Sept is the last month of the wash ticket, so they’ll be returning to the garage @ the main house @ the end of the month!

I’ve been controlling the wet trunk by removing the two large drain plugs in the trunk, so water comes in & goes out quickly; I also have trunk liner lifted off the trunk floor, so it doesn’t seem to get very wet & while driving with plugs out the circulating air drys quickly.

I’ll wait till she’s back in the barn, then check/remove that gasket to see if evidence that it’s leaking & figure out a sealing method.

Y2K-WS.6

Reaction score
We're on an island here, so a beach paradise is no more than 7 miles away heading north or south.

With that comes an endless assault of humidity, including salt fogs.

I tend not to hold onto my classics for more than 10 years for the above reason.

I sold a 1967 Buick Electra Convertible last year.

Beautiful car with 62k miles but a pig to drive and terrible brakes.

The TA is a completely different vibe and is a blast to drive.

Y2K-WS.6

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding; my past two weeks were crazy.

So we did make the trip to the Adirondack Nationals 2 weeks ago.

If you've never gone to a Nationals, I recommend it next time there's one happening near you.

A very different experience we won't soon forget.

Drove in the pouring rain from my garage to Albany, NY, roughly 4 hours of the 6+ hour drive.

Intermittent heavy traffic, we moved by the carlenth for at least an hour and a half throughout the trip and not a drop in the trunk.

Upfront, however, while sitting still in a significant downpour, I got a small drip where the top meets the windshield.

It came in by the side window, so I could stick a napkin in there to stop it.

As soon as we started moving, it stopped leaking, so it's a seepage issue that I have to investigate.

That's it no other issues other than burning out the passenger side front turn signal bulb.

That has been a wake-up that it's time to replace all the 21-year-old bulbs.

Before the trip, I already did all four headlights as the original bulbs glowed yellow more than shone white.

I have to admidt after using this car as a daily driver for five days, and I found it fairly easy to live with.

Very dependable and easy-to-use with reasonable cruise control that worked well even up in 5 to 6000-foot elevations.

A good stereo and comfy seats added pleasure to the trip for a couple in their 60's and used to their comfort.

Of course, you can't beat that drop-top for beautiful those summer mountain days and nights!