• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1981 383; Using Oil After Exhaust Upgrade

Jack4

Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope you can help me with this problem, as I'm anxious about it.

I just got an upgrade exhaust system from the manifold back.

It was a 2" with CAT and crossflow muffler, and now it's a 2.5" dual muffler with X pipe and no CAT.

I drove the car on a 100-mile journey the next day and noticed the oil on the dipstick had dropped 1/2".

I topped it up and made the same journey again, and the same drop on the dipstick occurred.

Also noticed a power reduction when taking off.

And full confession, I only have the car since February, and when I got it, I changed the oil, as it was black, but I noticed very soon afterward the oil turned black again.

And the old exhaust always had black deposits on the inside of the tailpipes and left black soot stains on the garage floor from the exhaust tailpipes, but the power was always strong, and I never noticed oil being used before.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am

Tbone

Reaction score
Not sure you got a reply yet, but I’ll throw my 2 cents in. ?

It sounds like your problem is unrelated to the new exhaust.

That change couldn’t have caused your oil consumption issue unless heads were disturbed & seem doubtful if headers weren’t seriously messed with; also questionable.

The car was reasonably new to you when you quickly noticed black oil & soot in pipes.

Then only one oil change that you performed & noticed quickly oil was black again also probably soot was a bit damp with oil & now a power loss. ?

It sounds like oil getting into your valves, worn guides \ seals, or possibly head gasket issues that progressed now to loss of compression or both.

Did you say how many miles r in it?

Reactions: Pontiac Trans Am