• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

1977 Lights Flickering

Matt_1756

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, & first-time Firebird owner seeking help/ advice on my 1977’s lights & gauge issue.

The quick rundown is that when I bought the car, the owner stated that the voltage & fuel tank gauges didn’t work.

It was an electrical issue and not the gas float that was amiss.

However, during the last drive before I winterized it, the lights, both exterior & interior, were flickering on and off.

Especially when I was going over bumps.

I tried to solve the immediate drive home by pushing and pulling the light's knob several times, and it worked minimally.

I’m wondering what might be the source of my issue and if it has any connection, possibly with my gauges issue.

Any help is appreciated as I’m a novice at best when it comes to car electrical issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregbert78

Reaction score
You have an electrical connection amiss.
  1. First, check your fuses and make sure they're seated correctly.
  2. Take both the negative and positive leads off your battery. Thoroughly clean your battery posts and connectors.
  3. Find where the negative (black) lead connects to the body then remove the connection and clean it.
  4. Next check the connections to your alternator. Make sure they're properly connected and not corroded.
  5. Next thing, with your car running and your headlights on, jiggle all of the different wiring harnesses to see if you can duplicate the issue.
  6. If you have to, then do the same with the wiring harnesses beneath your dash.

Last edited by a moderator: