• Welcome to the Pontiac Trans Am Community, the Official Home of the PTA! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

My 1970 Formula Rebuild Project

70formula

Reaction score
A lot has happened on the Firebird lately, as my father-in-law is extremely busy and wants to get his hands dirty.

He has the front of the motor torn back apart, and we are redoing some brackets.

This motor that's in it is a 68 GTO, and the 7Firebirdrd had different brackets.

What was on there was a hodge podge of bracketry for both setups, which caused the alternator and PS pump to be out of alignment.

So that's been one of his missions, and we have figured it out now.

He got the old, worn starter replaced and redid all the wiring to the starter.

The fuel pump is being replaced, and he's working on figuring out the headlights and associated wiring.

I spent a little time getting the steering column all repainted, rebuilt, and back in.

I needed a new 10-pin harness with the turn signal switch and a new middle housing, and the steering wheel got a good scrub down.

I plan to change the wheel to a formula style, but it was pretty nasty and dirty, so I put some elbow grease in.

The very rusted auto shifter was also removed and replaced.

It was so rusted that it wouldn't click into gear properly, and I think this was likely causing part of a hesitation issue.

We hope to fix significant bugs before our hometown's June 1st car cruise.

I want to enter the "rustiest runner" and "project rods" categories.

I got new front tires waiting to be changed over as well.

I am unsure if it will be ready to drive the 4-10 loops around our main town in three weeks, but we shall see!

I'm still in class the rest of the month and will have finals week that week, so I have much to do in life and the car, but here's hoping.

20240507_155416.jpg
IMG_20240507_180014.jpg

70formula

Reaction score
The engine bay looks less like a hot mess. It's still a mess, but it's looking better.

I figured out the power steering and alt brackets.

The ones on there were correct for a 70 motor, but this, being a 68 motor, wasn't drilled for those brackets.

So, I replaced them with GTO-style brackets, and it solved all the issues.

The wiring is starting to get cleaned up a bit more, although, to be honest, I want to rip it all out and start from scratch.

I may still do that after the June 1st cruise.

For now, it's at least not a pile of nonsense.

The heater core lines are following to get figured out.

I had gotten an aftermarket block of adapter that I thought would allow me to hook up the heater core and blower, but it doesn't fit even slightly onto the section it bolts to through the firewall.

So, it may just be welding in a plate to close the firewall and removing the heater core and lines altogether.

I don't want to put the monstrously heavy huge factory ac **** back on, but I wanted to be able to keep defrost.

I'm not sure what that solution is yet.

The fan shroud is next up to get in, and then headlights!

20240511_143016.jpg